Saturday, January 30, 2010
Teen Art Task Force: Teenage Riot Poetry Slam
Jersey City Museum (350 Montgomery Street): February 13, 2010 2:30pm
Contact: 201-413-0303 ext. 141 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Teen Art Task Force curates and hosts Teenage Riot Poetry Slam, an afternoon celebrating spoken word artists and the poetry scene. Get on stage, read a poem, get judged by the audience. Special musical guest is D.J. Motorfunker. All high school students who share an interest in the arts are welcome!
The winner of the Teenage Riot Poetry Slam will receive $25 dollar gift certificate to Newport Mall and a free one year Jersey City Museum Friends & Family Membership.
The Teenage Riot Poetry Slam is limited to 25 students. Students must fill out application. Please bring completed application on the day of performance. Students must sign in at the front desk in the museum atrium no later than 2:00 PM (no exceptions!).
Teenage Riot Poetry Slam rules and regulations:
* Students have three minutes to present one original poem. Poems can be on any subject and in any style. Each student must perform work that he or she has created.
* Profanity and derogatory comments of any kind are not permitted.
* No props, no costumes, no musical accompaniment. Only the student's personal presence, in action and voice, are permitted.
* Poems should be no more than three minutes long.
* 5 judges-who may be picked out of the audience-will critique the performance. The judges will give a numerical score (on a scale of 1 to 10) based on the poem's content and the student's performance, with the highest and lowest scores being dropped.
Teen Art Task Force is a new museum initiative that develops and promotes creative programming at the museum for teens by teens. It consists of high school students who share a common interest in the arts. Teen Art Task Force meets Saturdays of every other month at 2:30 pm in the museum's classrooms.